Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Pupdate: Khors Jan 2024 Three Months in....

 




Khors.... Dude needs his own post


I don't even know where to begin. 

This dude has adapted very well since the moment he stepped inside our home.   Nothing seems to phase this dog. Seriously, he just goes with the flow. Seems to like EVERYTHING and is the BIGGEST HAM.

I guess I'll start first with home.  He LOVES his family, especially Ziva. They are found playing often around the house. Either playing tug, wrestling, or just running around with the others.   He instigates play as much as she does.   
They don't care where or when, if they're in the mood-they play. 

Lada & Peryn are a bit "leery" of him.  Not that they don't engage with him, they do to an extent.  When they're all playing with the big ball, they back off when it's his turn. They don't wrestle with him, but they sure do chase him when he gets the zoomies outside. 
There has been some tug with Lada (maybe with Peryn too). 

He has a BFF at daycare as well.  Killian, an Aussie. The two of them are often at play when he's not going at it with Ziva.  
Khors absolutely loves activities.  Playcare? Definitely.  Going on a walk? Heck Yeah! Car ride? Roll down that window baby! Basement? Outside? Dog farm? Dog park?  He's for it all.

He loves the herding ball with the cattle dogs. He loves tug or wrestling with Z.  When he's not doing either of those in the basement, his next favorite thing is to cuddle with Momma.  He will come up to where I am sitting and expect some hugs & kisses.   He's a sweet gentlemen.    A big lover.

Oh and he's a talker.   It's most definitely the collie because Galen used to talk like Khors does.  We see a lot of Galen's "spirit" in Khors.  It makes us smile. I love his little talks. I'm trying to capture enough on vid to share.   

Khors also likes to push buttons. Not literal, figuratively.   Dude ALWAYS wants to be outside. He will pound at the curtain/door to see if it's open.  He's quite loud about it so you have no doubt what he wants. 
He's nosey as all get out & has to be in our neighbors business. So he will watch them in the backyard or if nothing is going on back there, he's decided he doesn't care what we say, he goes up front to lie down on the front porch to watch all those walk by.   
We had to purchase a new camera to monitor him at the front of the house.

He hates being warm & insists on lying out in the yard.   Yesterday with 14 degree temperatures didn't mean a thing to him. He was lying out in the yard like it was any other day.



He loves toys. When he gets them, he's usually gentle with them & loves to press the squeaky on them.  They of course get ruined because Ziva must play tug with all toys he loves.  She did that with Volos all the time as well.  

Took him to Petsmart to pick out a toy. First time in the store & it drove me crazy as he peed EVERYWHERE & it was A LOT!!  I spent more time cleaning that shopping. However, we found a toy he liked & he happily carried it to the car.   

I told Rich we would not do it again by myself.   Holding him & trying to clean up a giant bladder was not fun.   Everyone said it was because it was his first time. Regardless, precautions will be taken for next time.

Shower is cool
not hot here






Khors has filled out & grown.  Since he was only a year & a half-ish, we expected the growth.  However the filling out...he is such a handsome boy.

He's also a pig.  He eats A LOT. He raids trash cans.  He raids the counters.  He raids & he eats. The boy is a bottomless pit. 

At Thanksgiving he stole a roll right from the container of the island.  Right in front of everyone-no remorse. 

He goes through my trash every chance he gets looking for something.     Yesterday the stinker stole a container of mashed potatoes off the counter & ate them up long before anyone knew they were gone.  We discovered it when I was helping Rich make his dinner plate.  We couldn't find the container & Rich mentioned seeing Khors with one when he came in. 
Sure enough, emptied container on the dog bed.   

When Gramma was here for a visit, he stole 2 different pieces of banana bread.   Now to be fair, it was completely Gramma's fault as she did not appropriately put them up.   
The first time he stole it off the coffee table where she had wrapped up the piece she did not get to, to save for later.   Of course that's in easy reach and he ate it.

The next day, she had a few bites in the morning, wrapped it up, & placed it in her tote bag.  The tote bag sitting on the office chair--within reach.

Khors proceeded to help release the piece from it's confines & ate the rest.   If this dog is going to steal from a counter top, anything lower is fair game. 

He is a happy & healthy dog.  He loves everything about his life & has helped the pack overcome their grief.   

As for me, I'm still struggling . With Volos I lost my cuddle buddy. I lost my faithful boy. The boy that loved to climb up in my lap for snuggles. The boy that would plop down next to me when I took a break from work to lie on the floor with them.  The boy that climbed into bed and would either sleep on my & help me sleep through the night or cuddle next to me so I would want to stay in bed.   
The boy that would be so happy to come stand by me & let me hug him to death.     

Khors does not sleep in bed.  He climbs on me for no more than 2 mins and jumps off. He does not curl up against me when I get on the floor. He has helped ease the pain to an extent, but he does not fill the void.    
I also miss the "pure Bernese" look.   Volos looked all Berner.  Khors has a Berner look, but the tiny bit of collie gives him a distinct look....not so Berner.   I miss it.  I do still cry missing him I had the greatest dog for such a short amount of time.   




In 3 days we would've been celebrating his "Gotcha" Birthday. He would have been 9.    




No comments:

Post a Comment