Thursday, October 5, 2023

The Crew-pupdate Dog Grief

 10/3/23


Dogs do grieve

Yeah, these guys are not the same. Or maybe it's me. Or maybe all of us. 

I find myself getting annoyed when they want to go to the basement. Ziva bugs us to go down there. We head down, she runs around for about 2 mins. and maybe a game of tug, but then she's back upstairs. 

She used to stay down there and chew on her bones or hang out next to Volos.  Now she doesn't.  She's very... I don't know what word to use.  She acts like she wants something, but no matter what you ask or show her it isn't what she's looking for.  She also is much more cuddly than before with me. 
She's constantly wanting pets. She acts lost.

Lada hasn't wanted to play fetch as much.  She'd rather run around with the herding ball along with Peryn.  She'll play fetch with me for a few shots & then she's done.    Even if I ask her to pick out a ball, it's not what she wants. 
She's always been a needy dog with my affection. However there is a desperate quality to it.  Like she's afraid if she doesn't show me love or I don't show her love she'll just die. She does NOT want me to show attention to the other 2.  She's snapped a few times when Ziva has come for some pets. 

Peryn, is mostly Peryn. He stayed home by himself again.  We went downstairs for him to do his thing. He ..he does his thing, but it's like half heartedly. He used to really push the ball at me or push it all around the basement. Then after a bit he would come & we'd play fetch. Mostly he's "the same", but he is more snappy at the others.

I don't have the same enjoyment/heart playing with them.  I do it to keep their minds occupied & to allow me a chance to get a break. Although that's very rare these days. They're all clingy & follow me everywhere. 


beChewy has an article here:Link to beChewy article

from article: 
Signs of grief:

  • Distressed behaviors like pacing, panting and howling/increased vocalization: 30% of dogs showed one or more of these behaviors
  • Lack of appetite: 32% of dogs ate less
  • Lethargy or insomnia: 46% showed a decline in activity, while 35% slept more
  • Increased affection towards their pet parents: 67% were more attention-seeking

No comments:

Post a Comment