Saturday, February 1, 2020

Pupdate: Athena & Volos

Probably going to be a long one here.  First Athena updates and later VOLOS..

2018 Athena-healthy & thriving
Athena: 
Sigh.  She's shrinking away bit by bit.  It is so heartbreaking.   I was looking at pictures of her from last year and compared to today --she was a chubster. 

We're kind of on "alert".  We're trying to determine if it's just been coincidence or bad timing...but she's had a few issues with her front paws.  As in, we've seen them "roll" or bend under on different occasions.    Her use of her hind legs is diminishing more and more.   Some days she can maneuver on them around the house and other days she just drags them .   It makes me sad.


Climbing into her bed
It could be nothing which we are hoping.   This scares us as if it is something, it could mean the disease has started to progress to the front legs.   Time is running short then because we've agreed when she loses full functionality of the front legs it is time. 

This dog lives for playing with other dogs and her pack.   If she cannot do that, she has no quality of life.  To keep Athena in your hearts and send pawsitive vibes this way that we just had a couple of bad days.


Healthy weight.
Sharing a handful of pictures so you can see the difference These first four photos of her are from 2018 when the only thing we would notice is she would be when she tired out and she would begin to limp.  That would happen near the 2nd half/end of 2018.




Sunning herself


Look how beautiful she is here.   She and Duchess loved to sun themselves in the nicer weather.   Look how healthy she is here. 

Athena now:

These photos are all from the past month and a half.  The one you can see the "position" that she finds herself in often. She is stuck and unable to move out of it.


She gets stuck in this position and can't get out of it
Top view of er in her cart


Here she is so small.  She's very fragile.  I can't believe it's my same girl.     

Don't feel too sorry for her.  Except for arthritis pain, she doesn't feel much with this disease. 

Look at how tiny she is
Nothing stops her. If she wants to be somewhere and she CAN do it, she will be right there.   She's VERY determined.   She is a maniac in her cart and you better not get in the way.   
Top view of her on her bed



She's still very affectionate and will come demanding attention.    She may be limited to some things, but the rest is just a new way of life.    She loves her cart and gets super excited when she is being put in it--especially if she knows it's to play with Lada & Peryn.




































VOLOS
I'm blogging somewhat regularly, but I feel that I still get so behind because so much has been happening with this dude.


Hanging out in his crate
 Wow, I just realized I haven't blogged since Saturday, so yes there is so much to tell you.    

Sunday he really began to explore the house.  He still would return to Rich's office or as I am calling it now-Volos' room.
Sunday though, he really was gaining confidence in exploring.  However, if Rich is at his PC and has the TV on, Volos was in his crate... lying there.



Oooh that feels good

Monday- the monsters...err I mean Peryn & Lada went to play care, so I was hoping he would really branch out and come hang with me.   Nope.  While I worked from my office at home, he only occasionally made an appearance.
I decided to try something different.   I moved his crate from the office into the living room. 

So Monday afternoon, he came out to be with me and get his loving on. 

 Then he sat down in front of me while I loved him.   Then he finally laid down and allowed me to keep on loving on him.   I then slid down to the floor and continued.   He ended up being with me for over an hour and just chill.   It was fabulous.  He even got into his crate to chill out while we watched tv.        


Finally relaxing




In the morning on Tuesday, he was already out greeting me when I got up to let the Cattle Dogs out at 4am.   I love that he gets more and more comfortable .

Fighting for attention
He was home with the pack today while we went to work.  We still locked his crate to give him some feeling of safety.   When I got home he was soo happy to see me. Once I let him out and got everyone situated-we walked down to the park.  He rolled on his back again and just enjoyed being able to walk around outside.  




Munching on the chomp he stole

The biggest surprise was later on after we got home.   I give my dogs Pork Chomps baked pork rolls in lieu of rawhides.   Rawhides are nasty and unhealthy, this is a great alternative for your dogs.     I've been giving them to my guys for years and they love them.   In fact, the game they play is you snooze you lose.   I put out enough for each dog, but it doesn't matter.  If you were working on one and walk away, it will be stolen.      Well, one was out that Lada had been working on and she walked away.   Volos was comfortable enough to steal it!   SO awesome.    He went to town on that puppy and stayed right there in the living room while he did. 

Wednesday-   I worked from home and Rich was home as well.   We had an appointment in the later afternoon and so it was us, Athena, & Volos.   We got the kids home and decided to test the situation.   We didn't lock his crate, so he was able to leave it at any point in time.  I don't know if it was because our appointment screwed up the schedule or he just can't handle being alone, but we came home to a mess Volos made.   That was the first time since day 0 that he had gone in the house.  Pretty decent.  
He got spooked due to the carpet cleaner being ran after we came home.    Chose to go back into Rich's office for the rest of the evening and to sleep.


Thursday-- Rich was home and I had to go into the office. It was a decent day and Rich decided to take the ACD's & Volos to one of the parks not too far from us.  It has rocks vs grass so when it rains there isn't mud.  

He told me Volos did great. Walked around by himself going up to people for some loving and went up to the other dogs to check them out.   He seemed to have a great time.  

The ACD's keps themselves busy with their herding ball so this visit was a win win for everyone.   



Daddy, that feels nice
After coming home and having dinner, I got to chill out on the couch with Lada & Volos.   Lada is very possessive of me.  Like all Cattle Dogs, I've been deemed HER person. She has a conniption if any of the other dogs try to get attention. She was very intolerant of Duchess getting any and she goes into a meltdown if Peryn even looks at me.
With Volos, she's been pretty chill. It's more of a cutting off each other between the 2 to see who gets the closest spot to Mommy.   So that evening I had Lada on one side and Volos on the other.  I think they're bonding over their affection for Mommy. 

Rich has been walking the 2 guys together for a short jaunt around the clock to get them to warm up to each other.   Peryn looks like he tries to initiate play when Volos starts getting ramped up at the park. 
Yeah.... Righ there!!
    To Be Continued.

 Friday......   
I worked from home and Rich was off again.  After I completed work, we decided to take Athena and Volos back to the park.  It was a nice sunny day and the 2 of them could use some outdoors time.

The park had a handful of dogs when we arrived and Athena barked up a storm to announce her arrival. This was the first visit back there since she got her cart.   She was beyond excited.  Took off like a rocket when we got in. She was eating up attention.   People seem to adore handicapped dogs--- and she milks that for all it's worth.

Volos walked around on his own, sniffed some butts, sniffed around and started to loosen up a bit.  He started to "run" and try to play with the other dogs.  THEN..... THEN... he got up on his hind legs and put his front paws on me.   He then did it again AND then turned his head into me.   HE GAVE ME A HUG!!!!!       DAY IS MADE!!
sleepy


Today the other 3 went to play care and we left him in his cage for a bit to run errands.   He was out and about in the house while we were home. Spent some time in his room, spent some time in the crate, came up to me in the kitchen for some pets.      He's definitely getting more comfortable here. 
We've even had him come into the bedroom.   My ultimate goal is to get him to sleep in there with the rest of us.   I just need to be patient.

We've tried to start with some training commands-- but he's still too sensitive right now.  If we raise our voice, make sudden movements, or startle him in any way he takes off for his room.  I threw a treat and it landed on the ground next to him. He heard it and took off...   


love how his pawa are crossed
Another issue we're having is getting him to go to the bathroom.    We have a tie out for the front that we used for Duchess.  We have attempted to put it on him...it freaks him out. The white cord following him scares him.  
Rich will take him out on the leash and walk him around the house. He will go pee, but not #2.   I take him out on a leash and he tries to get me to go to the park.  I've tried to stop doing that in the mornings because I don't want him to think that's the only time he can go #2.   

At the park (any) he'll go, just not in our yard.
He loves to lean back into our legs when we're out there and he's "done".   I was hoping going out with Peryn & Lada would get him to go, but no... it's not like that. 

Hanging wif Momma

He really is a sweet guy.   I wish I could start working on training and getting him to do things the way they should be, but since he's so sensitive we're not pushing too much. 

Peryn's tried to engage him in play. While he has not reciprocated, he has not run off.  SO progress!!

Monday's the surgery....  keep sending your pawsitive vibes our way.













No comments:

Post a Comment