Sunday, February 16, 2020

Rescues...


I think prior to Volos we had it pretty easy with the dogs we've adopted & raised.   Our first abused dog was Sheba who was 6 months at the time.  She was wary of men and would become agitated at anyone "throwing" or doing the throwing motion.   She flourished with us and was extremely protective of us.   Other than that, she was a good dog and had no other big issues, outside of "puppy" issues.

Athena was our second dog with issues.  Assumed puppy mill escapee-since she was found outside- from the visual evidence it appeared as such.  She was underweight, had infections all over, was missing skin off her backside, and had "callouses" on her underside and elbows from where she rested all the time. Additionally she had distended teets.  We were lucky with her.  She was a joy. She craved attention and loved being doted on. She struggled with stairs-never having done them and long walks and running-as she rarely used them.  While we rehabbed her back to health-struggling with house training--she did well.   Once we able to get her strong enough, she loved going to the dog parks and running with all the dogs. That's all she did and she was happy.    We really had it easy with her.

Right now we are struggling as we deal with the Degenerative Myelopathy. Having to assist her in getting up, walking, going outside, cleaning up after her, making sure she eats--it's a lot of work.  We love her and she's still all mentally there, so we're going to work to let her enjoy her life as long as the disease holds off.  

Back when I still lived with my parents our family dog Max had DM.   Then it was pretty much a death sentence. When he got to the point where he was unable to hold himself up, we had to say goodbye.  Times are much different and there are so many resources at our fingertips.  

The sad thing is though, there are so many people out there that when they get a dog--don't "sign up for" this stuff. When the dog becomes older and begins having Senior dog problems, they take then to be put down or surrender them to a shelter.    What is even worse, there are those who get a puppy or dog without doing ZERO research and return the puppy/dog when they begin to act the say they are bred to.    I see so many Cattle Dog postings for people returning them because they were mouthy or they were herding their children.   THEY WERE BRED FOR THAT!!!!    All some people see is a cute puppy and they want it---end of story.  This is a disservice to the dog and to the people who adopt.  

Foster parents and any person willing to take on the special cases-- to give them a chance at having a good home/life are amazing.  While we could never foster, we welcome dogs into our home --even special cases.

he came into the office willingly
Volos is a special case. We've been pretty fortunate with every single dog we've had before him.  We brought them home and soon integrated them seamlessly into our family.   Volos is the first dog where we have to give him space.   Whomever had him before obviously frightened him terribly.  His flinches when you move a certain way.  He runs from the littlest things. It is killing me that this sweet dog is so terribly frightened.

In my last blog post I mentioned I've been running into some issues with him.   It's very hard not to let it get to me.   I've been spoiled in the past that the dogs we've rescued have been welcoming to be loved on and gotten over any fears rather quickly.     Volos--he loves attention. He still likes it from me--but he's not skittish around me and it kills me.    Believe me I'm aware it takes time --all I want to do is sit there and hold him and just pet him all night long.   I know he wants that--but getting from where he is to that seems like a long way. He's not even been here a month and he still has possibly months before he'll feel at home...hopefully.   

I know he was meant for us. I firmly believe if anyone else had taken him home, they may have given up on him already. He obviously feels more secure with Rich and that is good.   It's just hard to sit back and give him time and space.  Peryn so badly wants to play with him-but Volos isn't there.

There are good signs-- he'll happily greet me in the morning or when I come home.  He has been sneaking toys or my slipper.  He shares the same bowl as the rest of the pack.  Outside he will love up on me like there is no tomorrow. He loves to be out in the snow. 

It's just the isolation that he keeps himself in--saddens me.   Right now he's across the hall in Rich's office, lying there alone.   Peryn is in the basement and the other 2 are in my office with me.   If I were to get up and go to him, he'd leave his room.   I don't want to make him uncomfortable so I don't.   I do pop my head in to talk to him sweetly and give treats--and it is so hard not to try to get him to love up on me like he did a week ago.  

Hoping it's just a phase or maybe a reaction to the pain from his surgical sites.   I really adore this dog and it kills me that we've taken steps backward.    I know this is requiring patience and I will give him the space, but part of me just wishes we could FFWD to that day already…

He really is an easy dog overall.  He is super quiet—still have yet to hear him bark.  He stays out of the way and doesn’t beg. He’s mostly house trained.  He only asks for attention ever so often and we’re happy to give it.   Putting our wants and wishes aside to make him comfortable and help him feel safe is all that matters now.

No comments:

Post a Comment