Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Pupdate Volos

I promise I will get to the day in the life with a dog living with DM, but I figured I'd focus on the newest pack member-Volos. 
 V O L O S




DAY 0-- It was crazy. Picking the ACDs up from play care and driving down to meet "Scout".  Dogs realizing that he was coming home--the hour ride home, stopping to get a collar and finally making it home. 
Once home it was a zoo!  CRAZY.  Athena barking up a storm, Peryn & Lada watching Volos with trepidation, and poor Volos--completely overwhelmed.


He walked around the house lifting his leg marking (and so began the NOs), then he crapped upstairs, and then the whole crew went downstairs to burn energy. 
Down there he began to poop everywhere and the dogs were being their typical self.


hile down there we grabbed the crate and then set it up in Rich's office. This was going to be his safe space.    Volos learned to use the stairs this day.  He was slow, but he made it all the way upstairs on his own.   Very much like Athena was.   We will have to work on strengthening them.

Eventually Rich sat down on the computer and I went to bed (taking all the psychos with me).   Eventually Volos calmed down and finally laid down.  

He readily went into his crate that night and we all had a peaceful nights rest.

DAY 1-- I stayed home to allow him to get acclimated to the house and the dogs.  Not my wisest move as Peryn & Lada were their typical INSANE selves and wanted to play all day long.  Peryn's intensity seems to freak Volos out.  


We began the day with what is going to be our normal routine. Outside & breakfast.   He did really well and ate heartily. 
Once back inside though, he went to his safe space, Rich's office.  That's fine and expected. 
I left him alone for periods of time and would check on him and get some loving.   


I eventually took him & Lada to the park 2 doors down. He does so well outside of the house. He met our neighbor and her dog.   He loves other "chill" dogs.   As I said, Lada and Peryn are too high strung for him right now.   

Every time I check on him, he's happy to see me and cuddle.  We need to work a bit on the outside thing though. When it's only to go to the restroom, he nearly trips me because he's right at my feet.  

Rich came home and Volos got more loving.  Rich took him & Peryn on short walk around the block.  They came back and Volos made a quick appearance in the living room. He proceeded back to his safe room.     

Rich spent the evening on the computer again with Volos and the door to the room shut so he could either stay in his crate or stay in the room.  He chose the crate.


DAY 2-- Normal day.   I got up for work and let him out of the room. Attempted to take him outside, but he didn't want to be out there, so he stayed against my legs the whole time.   He trips me when he is like that. It's sweet though.   We'll get him used to this life.

I left for work after feeding him and giving him some loving.     Rich made sure they all went out again and loved on him a bit before putting him in his crate.  He goes in easily with no fuss.
That feels gooood!

I came home and proceeded to greet him with much enthusiasm as I could. He was very happy to see me.  I then got Athena up and had to coach him out of the room to go outside.   That was another chore as he did not want to be out there (he doesn't seem to like the tie out ).

We went back inside and I got Athena into her cart.   I then got him out of the room (putting his leash on him seems to make him come out without issue) and the three of us proceeded to head down to the park.    

He loves being able to be outside.  He rolled around in the snow and even sort of ran. 

We came back to the house and I loved on him a bit and then went to my office (directly across from Rich's office).  I would call out to him occasionally and even go back to love on him.

He actually moved out of the corner and came to the doorway to watch me.   He seemed to be contemplating coming across to be with me.  He stepped out of the room once, but eventually went back inside.   

I hope we continue to earn his trust and that he can relax in the house.    

He's currently on the way with Rich to meet the ladies who work at the day care the kids go to.   They are super excited to meet him.   

so we're not over day 2 yet--but he seems to be getting comfortable in his immediate surroundings.   Now if only my psychos could allow him to relax!

No comments:

Post a Comment